Friday, April 14, 2023

4-10 Drive to Utah

 After leaving Acoma, my next stop for the night was Page, AZ, which is the town near Glen Canyon National Recreation Area and Lake Powell.  I have been here before, so I did not stop for any sightseeing, but I did stop at Walmart's and stock up with groceries.  

Beautiful drive!!  It was sunny and warm today, without any of the wind I had experienced in New Mexico. 




As you can see, I really love these straight roads.

The scenery changed as I headed higher and higher. 

Finally, Lake Powell!

Going over the bridge near the dam.  I did not stop because I was anxious to get to Zion, plus I have been here several times already. 


Made it to Utah!!  Yea!



Oops!  Made it to Kanab and started to hear very strange noises coming from my front left tire.  Luckily, the noise started right in front of a Napa Auto Parts dealer and an auto service place.  I pulled over, and the mechanic took it and me for a short drive, then pulled into the back parking area, and they started to pull the wheel apart.  It took three of them over an hour, and the diagnosis was that the wheel bearings had frozen up.  In the meantime, I was comfortable inside with my rig plugged in so I had AC and TV. 


 
They had the parts, but it was getting near closing.  Luckily, they had a water hose that I could use to add some water to my tank and a 30 amp electrical hookup so I would have AC and heat, plus things like TV and my microwave while I spent the night there.  
 
Yes, I could have packed a suitcase and walked to a nearby hotel, but I am much more comfortable in my own bed with my own bathroom and kitchen.  The police station was in the same parking lot, directly behind me, so it was a pretty safe place to spend the night.  

In the morning, they started to put new bearings in and checked the other front tire, so it was done and I was able to leave at about 10 am!!


Zion is only about 30 miles away, so I was on my way as soon as I put things away and unplugged from the 30 amp hookup!!



No comments:

Post a Comment