Sunday, March 20, 2022

3/18 Shark Valley, Everglades, Bike Ride

This is one of the best bike rides in Florida.  Want to feel as if you are alone in the "River of Grass"?  This is a 16 mile paved road that is used by tour trams, hikers, and bikers.  I have ridden this roadway several times on my electric bike and hope to be able to do it again in the future.  

Only problem?  It would have been nicer on a day when the temps did not reach 90 degrees with 80% humidity.  Anyway, I knew I had to get there early because there are only three or fours spots big enough for tour buses or motorhomes.  I arrived 15 minutes before they opened!  The guy in the photo below is the tour bus driver going to make sure I have not pulled up too close.  I did pull up close because the ranger asked me to since a school bus would be arriving in a few minutes.  However, I knew the bus had a good four feet in front of it--close but doable.

The other reason for getting there early is beat all the people who are renting bikes!  I also like to start out on the eastern part of the loop because most people start out on the western part of the loop.  

I was all by myself on this part of the loop for the first hour!  Yea!


Just me, a few birds, and a handful of alligators. 

One interesting thing is that there are now fewer birds close to the loop.  The reason?  They have finally finished some of the water restoration projects that have reversed some of the draining and drying out of the whole southern part of Florida.  For example, Tamiami Trail, which is the road south of I-75 that crosses the Everglades and Big Cypress Preserve from Naples to Miami, used to block water flow.  Now parts of it have been raised so water can flow naturally underneath it.  They have also opened some gates that restricted natural water flow. 

So, now birds and animals can spread out more naturally and no longer congregate at some areas.  

In any case, this endangered wood stork is happy to have a lot more shallow water to find the crustaceans it eats. 

 

More of this lovely, empty bike trail and tram road.


One of a handful of alligators that were next to the road. 

After riding 7 miles, you can see the viewing tower in the distance. 

I did not stop at the tower because I have walked up the curving ramp several times, but below is the western part of the loop.  It is a lot straighter and has a sort of ditch or "borrow" pit along the entire length.  This means it usually attracts a lot of birds and alligators.

This is very pretty swamp lily.

A couple more alligators.



It was over 90 degrees today, so I was happy to get back in my motorhome and head back to my camp site. 

No comments:

Post a Comment