Saturday, March 19, 2022

3/13 Back at Myakka State Park Again

This is one of my favorite places, so I am back here for a few days before I head farther south to Midway campground in the Big Cypress Preserve.  I have been mostly lazy here as I recover from mosquito bites and get some cleaning done in my motorhome, but I did go out the last day I was here to take some photos, as I will not be back here for a couple of years.

And a vulture jam on the roadway.  This one was in no hurry to get off the pavement.

 

Nor were these guys. 


Headed out to the concession area and parked in the big lot.  What is weird is that there are some parking areas before you get here and all were packed.  I think they need a couple of signs showing people that there is much more parking available here at the edge of the lake.

 

This is looking towards the lake from the parking lot. 


There was a short path at the end of the parking lot that went to the area where they had recently removed an old dam.  Apparently, it was no longer needed and just made a lot of the Myakka Lake and Myakka River stagnant.

There are still barriers in place because they want to give the area time to recover from the de-construction.


Across the Myakka River were a bunch of black vultures and a bunch of alligators. 


This is where a spur of the river empties into the lake.  It is next to the concession stand and is used for the large airboat that takes you across and around the lake.

And the pretty road leaving the concession area.

 

There is always something to see from the bridge that crosses the Myakka River on the main road out of the park. 

You can always see alligators at Myakka.



 
It rained yesterday, so the resurrection fern on the trees was looking alive again.  During dry periods, it just looks like a lot of dead leaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment