Tuesday, August 6, 2019

8/6 A HOT time at LePage Park

Temps here have been in the 80s most of the summer, but this year and last, it seems to get hot when I come here.  Temperature was 100 degrees yesterday and got up to 103 today.  Tomorrow, it is supposed to be about 102, but cooling down to 90 on Thursday.  Yea.  A cold wave. 

First, the drive along the Columbia River is one of the prettiest around. The first three photos were taken after leaving Memmaloose State Park and as I was headed to LePage Park, west of The Dalles. In the northern side of the river is a two-lane highway, but on the south side in Oregon is Interstate 84.  Memmaloose is in the area where the coastal trees change to full grasslands. You can see below how the mix looks. 


Getting closer to LePage Park.  You can tell by the lack of trees and more grasslands.



This wind farm is across the river from LePage.  


I bought this inexpensive weather station a few years ago.  I don't use it often, but I figured this would be a good time.

This is the indoor part of my weather station.  Note that the outside temp is 102 degrees with 33% humidity and 4 MPH wind speed.  

Way down at the bottom, you can see that the indoor temperature is 89 degrees.  AC has been running all day, but it just cannot keep up with the heat.


This is one of my favorite campgrounds, for a lot of reasons.  The biggest is the gorgeous view of the John Day River.  Second, is that sites have electric and water, and third is it costs only $12.50 for seniors like me with a federal senior pass.

This is the view looking north toward the Columbia River and I-84, which runs along the north side of the river.  There is a big dam a couple of miles downriver, which makes the John Day River into a good-sized lake.  I was told today, that it is 80' deep down by the bridge and almost that deep in front of my site because this was a deep valley. 

I have the furthest south pull-through site.  It is smaller than the others in front of it, but I like that there is no one behind me.  Stayed here several times before. I can sit in my recliner and do work while watching other campers and boaters on the river.   

No comments:

Post a Comment