Wednesday, October 3, 2018

10/3 Home Sweet Home, No Matter Where!

Today, I drove from Plymouth Park on the Columbia River to the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, which is directly south of there.  It was about 150 mile drive and went through some really pretty country, which I will post about tomorrow.


What this posting is about is how nice it is to always have your home with you.  

Today, I made the mistake of assuming that because this is the off-season, I would not have a problem finding a campground in one of the nearby towns.  All the towns near this national monument, by the way, are very small, but I had picked out a couple that looked good and had good reviews.  I wanted to stay near the visitor center because the park is spread out and there are some other places I want to visit in the morning near here.

The other mistake was not calling and making a reservation.  Actually, I tried, but had no cell service nearly all day because I was driving through farmlands and tiny towns.  I also spent about an hour-and-a-half at the visitor center and by the time I went out to get a spot to camp in, it was almost 5 p.m.--later than I like to stop on those rare times I do not have a reservation.  So, of course my first-choice campground was full, but there was another one across the street in town with good cell service and electric hookups, which is really all I need. 

Anyway, my point is that I am spending one night in a commercial campground that is very basic and not up to my usual standards.  It is the equivalent of the mom-and-pop roadside motel you would stop at very late at night when nothing else was available. 

BUT, one of the best things about living in a motorhome is that once you plug in, put your slides out, and close all the drapes, you are home, as in "Home Sweet Home."  I have my own bed, my own bathroom, and a refrigerator full of food, so it is really the same place I am used to, in spite of the surroundings!  I have already heated up and eaten my dinner, had a couple of after-dinner chocolates, and have my laptop out to catch up on things and grade a few papers before I take my shower and go to bed.  

(The second-best part of living in a motorhome, by the way, is not having to pack a suitcase or lug it into and out of hotels!  I have everything I need with me at all times.)

Tomorrow, I am going to drive back to one of the lookouts I missed today and then head down to another part of the national monument.  And tomorrow night I DO have reservations in a Corps of Engineers campground about 100 miles west of here.  COE campgrounds are always clean, well-maintained, and pleasant, and they are also very cheap for seniors like me.  

Will post some photos of my drive tomorrow when I am not so tired.  I had expected nothing but rolling grasslands and bumpy country roads, but was very pleasantly surprised to drive through forests and across a pass, and even through some canyons today.  And the newly blacktopped road was wide and almost empty, which was a plus.  Very pretty area of Oregon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment