Monday, October 29, 2018

10/27 Napa EXPO RV Park

I've been spending the last week or so in Napa, visiting family.  My favorite place to stay in Napa is at the county fairgrounds, aka the EXPO, where there is a very nice RV park.  It is really the only decent place to stay within maybe 30 or 40 miles because it has very large paved RV sites with full hookups.  It is a tad expensive, but worth it because it is only 4 blocks from downtown and other city attractions like the wine train and tons of restaurants. 

Another advantage is that there is a small laundromat tucked into the shower and bath building.  I never use the public facilities provided with campsites, but I do like the laundry because it is so close. 

There are also two camp hosts next to the facilities building.  Camp hosts are responsible for checking you in, maintaining the grounds and restrooms, and making sure guests follow the rules and don't get carried away with late night wine parties!  You can see my front bumper in the right lower part of the photo, which means I am very close to the laundry.  And in fact, I did four loads while I was here. 

I had to pull my rig as far forward in my site as I could because the trees were blocking my satellite TV signal.  You can see how much space there is behind my motorhome--enough for another RV.  In fact, during the county fair and the annual Bottlerock Festival, they put two rigs on each site and two more in between, so there will be as many as four RVs in the same space taken up by one during the rest of the year!  The camp hosts keep their spots, but the entire fairgrounds is rented out for Bottlerock, and the camp hosts have told me they will be moving out next year!!   

Here is a video showing the premium ticket suites!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uvzI7cP8As.  They build huge grandstands for this event, with half a million people attending.  

And here is another video of the festival:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1pdQ53oi64 

The camp hosts also told me that they have to completely re-sod the fairgrounds afterwards because of all the crowds!  

Anyway, most of the time it is much quieter here.   

Looking from the front of the campground to the back.  There are only 28 sites, so it is full almost every day of the year. 

No campfires and no tents are allowed.  You also may not put any mats on the grass. 

My site this time was next to the cow barns.  No cows or any other animals, however. 


Most people stay only a couple of days, so during the day, it is about half empty, but this photo was taken in late afternoon when it was full. 

 Another nice thing about this campground is that I can ride my bike through the fairgrounds and out onto the bike trail along the main road for a couple of blocks, and then catch the bike trail that follows the wine train tracks.  It will take me to the other end of town where if I wanted to, I could get on the 20+ mile trail to Yountville. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment