Sunday, September 2, 2018

9/1 Yachats & Oregon Coast Drive

I left TIllicum Beach this morning and headed to Bullard's Beach, near Bandon.  It was 100 miles of some of the most beautiful Oregon Coast on Highway 101.  

First stop was Yachats.  I have been here several times, even parked at the small state park that overlooks the rocks and tide pools, but it has mostly been foggy and overcast, so I did not take photos then.  Today, however, was bright and sunny!  Yea!   (Maybe my towels will dry now.)

Yachats is pronounced "yah-hahts" or something similar.  I have been given a couple of slightly different versions by locals, but that is close enough.  It is a very small town, but tucked between forested mountains and the sea.  Parking is tricky because there is not much extra space.    


Wherever a river enters the ocean, it creates a wide, sandy beach.  In Yachats, this is next to a rocky outcropping that has created some very neat tidal pools. I was lucky to be here at low tide.  





I walked partway down, but stumbled a couple of times and scraped my hand catching myself, so I did not go as far as these people were.  Also, the two rock bridges did not look very sturdy, and I envisioned myself falling into the caves below. 



Down the highway, there is a crack in the earth called "The Churn."  During high tide on a windy day, the surf races up this crack and sprays high into the air.

There are several pull-offs as you drive farther on.  One place I stopped at had several dozen sea lions barking their heads off.  Some were swimming and driving, and others were sunning themselves on the rocks. 

Their colors varied from light beige to dark brown, and some obviously stood out against the rocks more than others.  There are a couple of big bulls in this bunch. 

Here are several swimming around.  Maybe fishing? 



Nearby is a lighthouse and swimming cove.  

Back on the scenic coastal highway.  This is still Highway 101 and goes all the way from the Canadian border to Mexico. 

This is an amazing beach view. I saw it from even higher up, and luckily, there was a pullover big enough for my rig.  Believe me, I put my vehicle in park and then put the emergency brake on, plus I turn my wheels so if the brakes give out, it does not go over the railing.   

Last photo of this very nice drive!  




No comments:

Post a Comment