Saturday, December 9, 2017

12/8 Death Valley Flintknapper

I found this volunteer the other day set up behind the visitor center demonstrating how to make flint and other tools from stone and bone.  He said he is here three days a week until April when he heads to other places to demonstrate.  He also makes and sells flint strikers to people who use flintlock rifles, mainly civil war and other historical reenactors. 

He is very hard of hearing, so I had to make sure I spoke loudly enough and faced him when I spoke.  Here he is with his protective leather apron, tools, and samples of the types of flint.  He showed me all the types that he uses, most of which have been given to him by friends who collect the rocks for him.  

Here are some of the items he has made.

And an amazing collection of flint points and axes he has made.  Most of these are made of obsidian. 
 



I told him I had seen obsidian in Oregon near Bend and that I had also seen a lot of flint in Salisbury in the UK several years ago and how I had seen a stone wall around the cathedral in that town made up of about 10% black flint.  (Flint is very common in some places in England, especially the white cliffs in Dover.  It is formed along with the chalk in those white cliffs.) 

I picked up some of the tiny scraps he had dropped on the cement and asked if I could have them. He said I could and gave me an even bigger obsidian core. I told him that I am going to the UK next spring, and I would try to bring him some flint back with me.  I brought rocks home from Orkney, Scotland about 10 years ago, so hope I can find some flint while I am there and legally bring it back with me.  

Anyway, if you go to Death Valley in the winter months and are there on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, check out the patio behind the visitor center.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment