Saturday, October 22, 2016

10/21 Curry Hammock State Park

I moved to here a couple of days ago and think I like it better than Bahia Honda.  For one thing, the road is quite a ways away so it is a lot quieter.  Also, the sites have a nicer gravel base, so there is none of the fine gravel to track in.  It's only about 3 miles south of Marathon, where Bahia Honda was 15 miles north of Marathon.  Still have the same selection of stores and facilities, but much closer.  And it was close enough that I was able to rent a car from Enterprise, and they picked me up.

Before I show you more of the state park, however, I need to show you the results of my shopping trip yesterday.  Can you guess that I am being eaten alive by mosquito bites?  The worst part is that over the past five years, I end up getting huge red welts and sometimes infections from mosquito bites. I found out some of the Benadryl tablets I have been taking, so I tossed them out and got a fresh supply.  The good news is that the package says I can take two at a time, so maybe that will stop my itching.  The spray bottle on the right has benzocaine in it and was recommended by the pharmacist, but it turned out to be in an oily base, so I went back to today and bought two other creams--one with lidocaine and another one with an antihistamine. 


The camping spots are nice and big, but unfortunately, I was planning on an ocean view and since they posted pictures on the reservations website, the greenery has grown up so I can't see over it! 
 The good thing is that my site is right next to the beach access path, so it is very handy.
 This may not look like much of a beach, but sandy beaches are very rare in the Keys, so this is a pretty good one. 
A turkey vulture circling.  The raptors are migrating south, so this might have been a visitor instead of a permanent resident.  There were some naturalists on the balcony of the restroom facility all day today using binoculars to count raptors headed south. One reason I like Florida, in spite of the mosquitos, is all the birds who winter here.
 These guys are ruddy turnstones.

This is a snowy egret.  It took quite a while for me to get a good photo of this bird in the right light.
 There are a lot of iguanas in the Keys. They are not native, and it is assumed they got blown here during hurricanes from Cuba about 10-15 years ago, possibly floating on rafts of vegetation. Anyway, this one has an amazingly long tail.  
Very hard to get a close-up, but I got this one after he crossed the sidewalk.  My neighbors said all I really had to do was eat a sandwich outside, and a bunch would come running!
 
Tomorrow I am going to take my rental car and drive to the National Key Deer Sanctuary on Big Pine Key, about 20 miles north of here.


No comments:

Post a Comment