Friday, November 30, 2012

11/30 Skidaway Island, GA

After two long days of driving, I decided to stay here just south of Savannah in southeastern Georgia. for a couple of nights. This is a very nice state park on one of the barrier islands.  Sites are in an area wooded with pine trees and live oaks hanging with moss.  Some were pretty tight, but I found a large, level site at one end.  All sites have electric, but water is off because of a break in the line.  I was warned when I made my reservation so I made sure to come with a full fresh water tank. 

The park is about 20% full, which is more than the last few places I have stayed.  Nice to be able to see neighbors.  Also, like most Georgia state parks, there is a gate with a password and the ranger patrols all night long, so very good security.

I spent some time working through a training program for the new software the college will be using in January.  Then I walked 3/4 miles to the nature center to take a guided walk, but turned out I was in the wrong place.  I hiked back about half a mile to the trail head.  I would have been late, but no one had showed up and the ranger had lost his car keys, so he and I walked down to the tower that overlooks the intercoastal waterway, shown in the second photo.


Long walk back to my campsite.  I figure I walked at least three miles overall, and it took over two hours. Whew!  And he finally did find his keys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment