Wednesday, October 10, 2012

10/9 Dead Horse Ranch State Park

I am leaving this state park tomorrow morning, so I wanted to get in one last post with some photos.  This is one of the nicest state parks I have stayed in so far.  Spots are far enough apart for privacy, roads are asphalt and in good condition, and the sites are very level, plus there are electric and water hookups, which is really all I need.  I also liked the fact that the upper campgrounds were situated on a high valley between two mesas, so that almost all sites had terrific views of the valley.

Here are some photos.  This first shows the ponds next to the river.  These are stocked with fish, and I saw two fisherman with several bass, one trout, and a catfish of eating size:


I hiked up onto the mesa closest to my campsite and took this photo looking over Cottonwood to the mining town of Jerome halfway up the mountain in the distance.

This is a photo of the Tuzikoot village in the distance.  You can see how many rooms there were from this photo.
 
 
Another view of Cottonwood and the Verde Valley:


And some of the plants in the area.  Sorry, but I don't know their names:



This was an interesting old log cabin at the far end of the tent area that I walked to one day.

Tomorrow, I head for Prescott and then to Phoenix for several days.  After that I go to Tucson, and head east through New Mexico and Texas.  Not sure I am ready to head home yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment