Sunday, October 28, 2012

10/26 - Carlsbad Caverns, NM

I know absolutely for a fact that I was here in 1980 and even have copies of the photos for proof.  I usually have an excellent memory for places I have been to.  However, for the life of me, I could not remember anything once I got to the caverns--not the drive in, not the visitor center, not even anything in the cavern! 

I took the Big Room self-guided tour, which was just fine.  It is a very impressive place, but the photos I took this time were a bit dark, so I am only posting two.


I spent two nights at the Brantley Lake State Park, which was about 35 miles away, but there just wasn't anything decent any closer.  It was very deserted, which I like.  One reason may have been the low water level and of course it being mid-week.  Check out the huge dam that makes this lake:

The earthern part of the dam is at least a mile long.  Now check out the water level of the lake:

The lake is that little puddle in the middle, not deep enough for much other than a canoe, certainly not enough for anything with power.  The campground was five miles from the nearest main road and very quiet, which is what I like. 

And here is another rabbit I managed to sneak a photo of.  He was a black-tailed jackrabbit, although I did not see his tail.  His ears have a black patch that matches online photos of this species.  I noticed him because they stand on their hind legs to eat leaves from shrubs.


Onward tomorrow to Texas! 


No comments:

Post a Comment