Monday, July 2, 2012

7/2 Driving Big - Living Small.

It takes some practice to get used to driving your home wherever you go.  A 14,000 lb vehicle does not turn quickly, it takes up a lot of space, and it takes some planning to make sure you do not get stuck in a situation you cannot get out of, like a parking lot where you cannot turn around in and get back out of.  When you want to go somewhere, you have to look at potential exits and problems before you go there--like the 10' 6" underpass in Mackinaw City I almost went under with my 11' 6" tall vehicle.  ( Have you ever backed up through an intersection while traffic waited for you??  Better than wiping out the AC unit, however.)  I was told they get about one vehicle stuck under there each week, so I was glad it was not me that week.

I have been puzzled lately about whether I was driving a car or a truck.  Do I obey speed limited for trucks or cars?  I certainly don't go through those truck weigh stations, but I do have to park in the truck area at rest stops.  Yesterday, however, I got charged a toll as a car, not a truck.  Need to check speed limit laws sometime, but I think I will obey truck rules for now.

I am also living small.  This motorhome is comfortable and roomy enough for one person, but the shower is small and hard to get into and out of, the kitchen and bathroom sinks about about half size, and the stove has three burners but a very small oven.  Can't even roast a whole chicken in it!  Storage for groceries and kitchen stuff is very limited.  I have a total of maybe one upper and one small lower normal house-sized cupboards.  Drawers are deep but only about 8" wide and there are only four of them.  Refrigerator is a whopping 6 cubic feet, and takes a long time to get things cold or freeze things, although it does function well enough for me as long as I do not open or close the door very often. 

Best things about this small home on a very hot day like today, however, is that it has a 15,000 BTU air conditioner that keeps it very chilly--nice!  Also, have a very comfortable bed now that I have added a 3" memory foam topper.  Another comfy thing is my old recliner which is in the place where the original, very uncomfortable dinette used to be. 

I am in northern Wisconsin today, on my way to Minneapolis.  Visited the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo today, where they raise cranes, especially whooping cranes and teach them to migrate.  Neat place!  More tomorrow as I learn to operate this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog! The visual of you backing up your rv to avoid blowing your a/c unit was great!
    Thanks for keeping us up to date on your adventure! xoxo Kerry

    ReplyDelete