Friday, September 25, 2026

9/25/2026 Getting Ready for a Three-Day Trial Run

 I spent a lot of time when I was returning from Florida last winter to get ready to move into my new home in Ohio emptying everything personal from my motorhome and cleaning it out.  I did leave things like the ladders for the bunks and hoses, and spare parts, but everything in the kitchen, bedroom, and living area got boxes up.  Ditto for almost everything in the "basement" or underneath storage areas.  It was an amazing amount of stuff -- at least 20+ boxes that went into my new house garage and eventually got unpacked.  

So now, since I am planning on keeping my motorhome and taking it to Florida for several weeks, I have had to pull together a lot of stuff and put it back.  As a full-timer for over 13 years, I have been spoiled and have only a very few times put my rig into storage and empty the refrigerator while I went to England or Scotland for a few weeks.  I have heard all the complaints about the work of packing and then unpacking for a weekend or short trip, and I sympathize with all of you who do that now!!  It was SO much easier to just leave almost everything I owned and only have to add food when I was ready to go again. 

So, tomorrow I am off for a three-day local trip.  This will enable me to find out if I have put back the essentials and am ready to head south in a few weeks.  It will also be a trial for the Half-grown, six-month-old kitten I have acquired.  I took one two-day trip with her a few weeks ago, but I did not even try to cook and managed on fast food sandwiches I took along.  This time, I will cook, and it will let me know what I still need to add.  

 So, check back in a few days to see how my trip with the kitten went.  My biggest fear is that she will escape and get loose because in the past month she has perfected her skills of slipping out the door.  On that last trip, she had to ride in her carrier and did non-stop meowing and scratching for the hour to and from the campground!  She does NOT like to be confined, especially in a small place.  

This time, I purchased a soft-sided dog crate that fits underneath my two-person rear dinette.  The carrier has a mesh top and sides and a zipper entrance.  It is 21" wide by 21" high, and 30" long, so this should give her a lot more space and hopefully encourage her to nap.  I have had it set up in the house for the past two days, and it has been her favorite space for napping and just relaxing.   

 Well, except for my half-packed suitcase:


Luckily, she is not shedding much yet.  The other thing I bought for her is a collar with a space for an Airtag.  I have been trying to change the battery in it and have not yet gotten it back together yet, but I am going to work at it a bit more.  This way, if she does escape, at least I will be able to find her.   

 

Keeping my fingers crossed!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment