Tuesday, July 16, 2024

7/1 Traverse City Cherry Festival

I had originally just planned to come to Traverse City, Michigan, to attend a high school graduation party, but after discovering that this was the start of the annual Cherry Festival, I decided to stay an extra couple of days.  

In case you don't know about this part of Michigan, it grows about 70% of the tart cherries grown in the U.S.   This is because it is located on the northwestern part of the state, very close to Lake Michigan.  The milder weather that results from being close to the lake and the two very large bays along the lake, also means it is a major wine producing area. 

While I spent the first three nights here camping in the nearby fairgrounds, I decided to spend a couple of nights in the state park along the bottom of the east end of the Grand Traverse Bay.  The reason I usually avoid this state park is that it is older and spots are small and tight to get into.  Also, sites have electric hookups, but are missing water on sites, and the heavy woods also means I cannot get satellite TV here. 

Roadways are one way and narrow.  The following two photos were taken during the day, and since a lot of people had taken cars and trucks out sightseeing for the day, it does not look crowded.  


 
However, when I first arrived, there were cars and trucks on both sides of the roadway, plus a couple of big trees just across the road.  All of meant I did not have enough space to back in to my site as usual, hence I headed in forward.   
 
 
This was a big, paved site because it was a handicap site.  The electric hookup was on the other side, but I carry a 25' 30 amp extension cord, so I could plug in easily.  It just felt a bit awkward to be staring through my front window into someone else's site.  And I did need a bit of help getting out at the end of my stay. 


The biggest reason I chose to stay here was that there is a shuttle route to downtown from the state park, and the stop is just across the highway.  There is a nice pedestrian bridge to get across and the shuttle runs every 15 minutes this time of year. I knew for sure that I would NOT be able to park my big vehicle in downtown Traverse City, and I do not tow a car. 


Nice view from the bridge.  I met my niece and her mother downtown at the festival, and really enjoyed the day. 


 
We chose a french fry with vinegar lunch!  

 
It was a pleasant, not too hot day, with a nice breeze off the bay.  

 
This is one of the touristy cherry shops where you can buy everything imaginable made from cherries!!



Spent about three hours wandering around.  Bought a zip-up fleece hoodie and some chocolate covered cherries.  Took shuttle back and rested my legs and feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment