Thursday, February 29, 2024

2/12 Smoke Near Ortona & What Are These Birds?

 Sorry, but my weak internet caused my delay in publishing!

In this part of Florida, there is a lot of sugar cane grown, and when the cane is ready to be picked and sent to the sugar factories, they often burn the fields.  At first, I thought all this smoke was from that, however, I later found out it was from a nearby farmer burning his cattle fields!

It really smelled bad and at a couple of points was burning eyes here:





Also, every night for at least the week I was at Ortona this time, just before dusk a small flock of unknown birds flew in and did some sort of airborne fishing.  I could not get a good look at a single bird to identify them, but their feeding behavior was really unusual, so I am hoping someone can help me identify them.  My initial guess would be some sort of swallows, maybe bank swallows?  

https://youtu.be/vRGHW7AGy6g 

No comments:

Post a Comment