Thursday, January 18, 2024

1/17 Shark Valley Bike Ride

Shark Valley is part of Everglades National Park, and it is located about 15 miles from my campground, Midway, along U.S. 41, aka Tamiami Trail.  It consists of a 16-mile paved loop road that is accessible to hikers and bikes.  You can bring your own bike or rent one from the concessionaire. If you cannot ride or walk that distance, there is also a shuttle that runs every hour or so, but it's expensive, so I prefer using my electric bike.  I try to go here at least once or twice every time I visit this area in very southern Florida, but the weather has been rainy and drizzly, plus a bit chilly, over the past week that I have been camping here.  

This morning, the sun was out and no rain was expected, so I uncovered my bike, filled up the front tire with air, and headed east.  

First, since this is part of the Everglades National Park, you will need to either pay an entrance fee or show your senior pass, like the one I have.  I had to wait in line today because the parking lot is fairly small, and it was full when I arrived.  I was lucky that there was an available spot in the RV/bus parking area, but I needed help parallel parking.  Got in OK, unloaded my bike, and headed past this visitor center onto the 16-mile loop road. 

 

I prefer to start off on the east side of the loop because it is less crowded.  In fact, it is amazingly empty most of the time, though there was a little traffic from fellow bike riders today.  Also, note how much water there is in the Everglades.  Last time I was here a couple of years ago, it was almost dry. 



 
Some views of the loop and the area.  


 
After about 7 miles, you can see the tower in the distance.  It has a ramp and a great view of the countryside, but I skipped walking up it this year. 

 
I need to find out what this white scummy stuff is.  It looks a lot like the kind of algae that is appearing in a lot of rivers and ponds these days due to excessive farm fertilizer.  

If you are lucky, you will find several alligators sunning themselves along the roadway.  Notice that this can be identified as an alligator by its rounded snout. 

 
I mentioned the above photo as being an alligator by its rounded snout, because below is a photo of the only crocodile I have ever seen in this part of the Everglades.  I asked the rangers about it later and found out that this is a female who showed up several years ago, and seems happy just hanging around this area.  
 
She really belongs in brackish or salt water farther south with all the other crocodiles, but somehow she got here and seems comfortable staying.  She is about 8' long, so fully an adult, but she cannot mate with alligators because she is a different species. 

 
How do we know this is a crocodile, not an alligator?  The main clue is that she has a long, narrow snout and her teeth are visible on the outside of her upper jaw.  
 
Both alligators and crocodiles are equally fast in terms of swimming, but alligators are much more laid-back, while crocodile are more aggressive.  However, unless bothered, it is highly unlikely that either one will chase you as the ones do in the Crocodile Dundee movies!!!  If you find them basking in the sun, it is likely they are napping and have their eyes closed.  
 
On the other hand, almost every pond and puddle in Florida has alligators in it, so do not go swimming or even wading in any watery place in Florida or a lot of other southern states.  Stick to hotel and private pools!!  And if you go swimming even there after dark, turn some lights on and check for visitors before you dive in!  🐊 


This is a much less dangerous Florida resident.  

I came to a screeching halt when i saw this very pretty purple gallinule.  This one is looking for insects and edible vegetation.  They have very long toes on their feet, which they use for walking on vegetation, so you can often find them on pond lily pads and other floating plants.




The west loop road follows a water-filled ditch, so there are a lot more birds on it than on the eastern loop road.  You can see the ditch in this photo.

Looking ahead at some walkers over my bike.

I think this is a lance leaf arrowhead flower.

This is a swamp lily. 

And the last alligator.  Actually, there were a lot more on the trail, but I had not taken my jacket and was very cold, so I did not stop for them all. 


This is one of the best bike trails in Florida, so I strongly recommend you take it at least once or twice each year.  If I lived in Florida, I think I would go during different seasons, also.  There is always something interesting to see.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment