Wednesday, March 15, 2023

3/12 White Sands National Park, NM

 OK, my biggest problem on this day was forgetting about Spring Break.  Since I have been retired and quit teaching online part-time, I can barely remember what day of the week it is, let alone when school holidays occur.  I was told by a couple of "breakers" that they were from Texas, as about half of the visitors were, and had figured they would avoid the crowds by heading northwest to New Mexico than to the beach as they usually do.  Ha!!  Did not work!

The last time I was here, there was hardly anyone in the parking lot in front of the visitor center.  This time, there was a volunteer directing traffic!  There is a small parking lot in the front which includes three long lanes for buses or RVs only.  What most car owners did not realize was that there was a much bigger parking lot behind the building and an overflow lot across the entrance roadway.  The volunteer was keeping cars from parking in the bus and RV spots and making them circle around to park in one of the other lots.  

I was a bit shocked at the crowds, but happy to have a designated parking spot that someone was actually monitoring.  Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of it, but below is a photo of the line-up to pay fees at the entrance booth.  You can see it in the distance to the left.  And they even had two lanes open at the booth!! 

 

Anyway, I parked in the RV lane and entered the bookstore, which is owned by the Park Service.  There was someone there answering questions and a cashier who had a  line of at least 15 people tryiing to buy books and postcards.  I walked around the little museum and looked at the exhibits before waiting in line to purchase postcards to send my grandkids. 

There was also a consignment-run gift shop toward the back selling the usual gift shop junk, but it was even more packed than the bookstore, so I did not stay.  Had to practically fight my way out.

A quick photo of one of the posters showing how animals living in the white sands became pale or white in color over time.  There was also a huge pile of red snow-type saucers--$25 for a new one and $19 for a used one.  (Somehow I doubt if travelers from Texas or even New Mexico have any reason for taking these home, so most seemed to be used.)

Now this was interesting.  The fossilized foot prints on the left are of an adult and a child human, and the ones on the right are from a giant sloth. 

Another view of the line waiting to get into the park.  Luckily, there were a lot of people leaving the park, as well, since it was about 3 pm by the time I got there.  You can see one of the dunes of white gypsum sand on the left. 

More white sand dunes.

The white sand is really not sand, but is gypsum, the stuff they put in drywall.  It is soft and not hot on your feet, but it does blow around more easily than regular sand because it is lighter.  Over time, the dunes move. 


Enough people were leaving the park so I was able to find a good parking spot at the area where I wanted to walk on the boardwalk to a viewing point. 

This is the boardwalk, literally the only one in the park, but it was a short hike, just right for me!  It was also not crowded with people carrying red snow saucers they had rented!!


A view of my parked rig from the boardwalk. 

A lot of people, whether they had sleds or not, were sitting on the top of dunes and enjoying the sunshine and warm weather. 

 
At a certain point, the paved roadway disappears, and you end up driving on very hard-packed gypsum.  The park plows it periodically, but it was like driving on a very rough gravel road, so my top speed slowed to about 15 MPH. 



Whew!  Back on pavement and headed home to Oliver Lee State Park.  I stopped in Alamogordo and picked up a pizza from Domino's on my way back.  Haven't had pizza in months.



1 comment:

  1. I loved going there. in some places it gives the impression of driving through snow.

    ReplyDelete