Sunday, February 5, 2023

2/5 Lake Pleasant Regional Park, Phoenix, AZ

This is one of the very nice Maricopa County Campgrounds.  I have been to several, and there just aren't any bad ones, but I like this one especially well because it is more into the desert and farther away from Phoenix than most of them.  The Roadrunner Campground, where I have stayed several times over the past several years, is hilly and has some of the best views, especially if you get a space on the lake side of the road.  

This posting actually includes photos I took when I stayed her a few days at the end of January and ones I took over the past 7 days I have been here.  Weather started out chilly and even slightly cloudy, but in the past few days it has warmed up and stayed sunny.  Lots of people out on the lake today on this 74 degree perfect day!

My only complaint is that somehow in this normally dry desert, I have managed to get bit several times by mosquitos.  The problem is that I have a strong sensitivity to mosquito bites and instead of just small itchy red spots, I get 1" diameter bright red welts with an infected center--plus they burn, rather than just itch.  I went out for a walk yesterday wearing long pants and a sweatshirt, but two of the little nasties bit my on one ankle and on the back of my right hand!  And I even sprayed my legs with Off.  (I refuse to wear gloves in such nice weather!)  

Anyway, here are some photos of this lovely place!  

This is a view of the Roadrunner Campground, looking up towards the Discovery Visitor Center and the playground structure.  One of the things I really like about this place is that the tower near the Discover Center ensures terrific cell phone coverage!

This is the Sonoran Desert, so usually the ground should be dry and a beige color.  Because of rain earlier in the winter and a little rain recently, the desert here is now covered with grass!!

A view of the lake.  Like a lot of lakes in the Southwest, it is lower than usual. 

I have been hopping around from campsite to campsite because I made my reservations late, but this is one of them.  Each site has a covered picnic table, which I am sure is appreciated in the hot summer, but right now, the covers just cause problems backing into a campsite.

This is a pretty big lake, even when not full, and has some very pretty mountains in the distance.  My motorhome is on the close right, just beyond the red cones in this picture.


I drove over to the marina one day and found this mom and her baby wandering around the parking lot over there, no doubt looking for a handout.


To get to the Marina, you have to go down the hill.

To get down, you can walk on the long set of stairs or take one of the two elevator cars.  I chose the elevator cars, for obvious reasons!

Lots of boats stored here, and there is also a restaurant and a store, but I was not interested in any of these things, so I just walked around a bit and then went back to my campground.

My third campsite was next to the lake, but up a hill.  Very nice view, but I had to fit my rig in between the metal picnic table awning and the small tree!

 
This is the view from the Discover Center. 
 

 
My motorhome is on the far right at three-o-clock.  Below is one of the "Lizard" slides.  In Arizona, by the way, it is very common to have playgrounds covered because of the summer heat.

 
And here is a big eagle slide.  You climb up his tail and slide down behind the fish he is holding.

 

 
The dam that holds back the lake water.   

 
And a last view of the campground and lake!


Tomorrow I head for a campground in Tucson and will be making several stops for groceries, post office, gas, and packages from an Amazon HUB.  


No comments:

Post a Comment