Sunday, May 1, 2022

5/1 More Comments on Campgrounds that Need Renovation

I am at another state park in Ohio.  This one also recently added about 15 new full-hookup sites, but there are problems with the other 200 campsites that need to be fixed.  

This campground at least has 30 amp electrical hookups in almost all campsites, however, it rained last night and this morning, and when I went out to unplug my electric so I could to head to the dump station, this is what I saw.  It reminds me of standing in a bathtub while plugging in an electric hair dryer, so I just grabbed the cord and used that to pull out the plug so I did not have to stand in the water.  Then I took a photo to show the campground people:

 
Unfortunately, the reaction I got from the check-in people was that it was safe because all of the electric wire was buried underground!  When I asked if they could absolutely, 100% guarantee my safety, they suggested I call the camp host and get him to plug it in because he had waders!  Really????   He did plug it in for me, but I don't think it was any safer for him than for me.  A temporary fix would be to add the white rock that Punderson State Park added around electrical boxes last week.  A permanent fix would be to raise boxes or put them in places where they would not create lakes. 

I wrote in my last posting about the problems with very narrow campsites that were no doubt built several decades ago when most people tent-camped and RVs were narrower.  As you can see, I can fit my motorhome on the sites, but just barely.

 
There is just no where to walk unless it is on the grass, or mud in many cases. 

Luckily, I have a doormat I can put down to step on.  However, because the asphalt is taller than the ground, the last step is a "doozy."  It would be very easy to trip going down if you did not expect the sudden drop.  There is also a substantial drop from the driver's seat, by the way, but I am used to holding onto things to make sure I do not fall. 

So, I decided to walk over to the new full-hookup sites and take some photos of those.  Unfortunately, while they added a small cement patio and paved around the hookup, the width of these newer sites is the same as the older sites.  In fact, it looks like they did not even repave them. 

At least the site above has no ditches on the side, which is another safety issue.  The new, full hookup site below has ditches on either side of the narrow entrance.  Especially because the asphalt is so high compared to the grass beside it, someone could easily trip in the dark into these, especially since campers nearly always have cars or pickups parked here.  In addition, it would be easy for a long motorhome or trailer and pickup truck to fall into one of these while backing in or out.  Depending on the size and weight of the rig, that could mean having to get a wrecker to lift it up and pull it out.  (In my case, that would take a really big wrecker!)  Not a good start to a vacation!

Notice what happens when a paved camping site is too narrow.  These are recent ruts, some from this morning as campers pulled out.  The whole point of paved campsites is to prevent people from driving on the grass (or mud, as the case may be).  The narrow sites just cause more maintenance and more mud for the next camper.  An extra foot or two on either side would have made a BIG difference. 

There are two, new handicap full-service sites, which are double wide!  Fantastic.  No drop-offs on the sides and no ditches.  Anyone using a walker or wheelchair would have no problems in these sites. 

 
Back to my campsite:  Most campers like to sit in chairs or set up a barbecue grill in the side of their campsite.  Because campsites are often wet and narrow, a lot of people will bring along a camping mat.  They come in various sizes, but this one looks like it was maybe 6' x 9' which is the size of the one I used to have.  They do provide a clean and mostly dry surface, but they also kill the grass if left in one place for too long.  That is what no doubt happened here. 

 
I know money is tight for some states, and I am glad to see improvements being made, but there is a lot more that needs to be done in many state parks.  
 
Here is an example of a regular (non-handicap) site at Homolovi State Park in Arizona where all the sites were renovated so they look like this one.  Half of the pad is long enough for even very long rigs, and there is room on the side to park cars or pickup trucks.  Beautiful!!  
 
Not all state parks need to have sites quite this long, but it is very nice when they do.  
 

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a great place, the name is very familiar from my travels last winter, I have to check and see where that was at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homolovi State Park is one of my favorite places. Not only do they have big camping sites with new asphalt, but the sites are widely spaced apart. In addition, there are several ruins of ancient Native American villages in the park. Most of the valuable pottery and other artifacts were stolen before this area became a state park, but you can still walk around and find small pottery shards almost everywhere. You can look at them and even pick them up, but you have to be careful to put them back in exactly the same place you found them. The park is just north of Winslow Arizona, along I-40, and just west of there is the famous Meteor Crater.

      Delete