Wednesday, April 29, 2020

4/24 Reed Bingham State Park, Adel, GA

This campground was highly recommended to me, even after I had made reservations several months ago.  My plans then were to leave my Florida state parks in the Panhandle and head northeast to the Blue Ridge Parkway.   Unfortunately, the corona virus shut down not only the state parks in the Florida Panhandle, but also the visitor centers and campgrounds in the parkway.  However, since Georgia had kept it state park campgrounds open, and I had found out that the rates of virus cases in this park of Georgia were very low, I decided to head hear on my slow trip back to Ohio and Michigan.

It turned out to be a pretty nice place, with sites well-spread apart and mostly empty campsites except for the weekend.  I had chosen a site, as usual, that was open so I could get good satellite service.  I absolutely have to have Verizon cell service so I can get internet access, but I really do like to have my TV service!

Weather for the first few days was nice, with highs in the low 80s and lots of sun.


As with most state parks, this one did have a lake, which I really don't care about as much as I care about having internet access and TV, but here it is--typical inland lake. 

Nice little fishing pier.  


What was interesting was the type of dam.  It was not a high dam, but it had a cement rim of sorts where the water was constantly flowing down to the river in the upper left of this photo.  Height of distance from top of dam to river was about 8'.

However, one day this past week, it rained hard all day, for a total of 3" within about 8 hours.  So, when I went to look at the dam two days later, there was hardly any dam showing.  The water was flowing over so heavily and the river so full on the other side, that the height of the dam was only about a foot higher than the river!  I noticed a lot of flooding in fields as I drove out of the area. 

So, next stop is Tennessee!  I have reservations in two campgrounds there for a week each--one on the Tennessee River near Lenoir City and the other in Jellico at the northern border of the state. 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy reading about the campgrounds you stay at. Take your time heading north and stay well

    ReplyDelete