Saturday, September 14, 2019

8/27 Eagle Lake to Mt Lassen National Park

Sorry that I have been so neglectful of my blog.  I have been very busy with end of semester tasks for the online class that I teach, plus I have had company and a family visit that I enjoyed but took up time.  Anyway, I am back for a while and doing some traveling, so I will try to post more often.  

My last post was about the fire area near Engle Lake, California.  Eagle Lake is a very isolated area and one of the very, very few natural lakes in California.  It was a long drive from Oregon on mostly empty roads, which I do like to drive on.  Here is the lake as seen from the north approach.  

Lots of 80' to 100' Ponderosa pine and other trees. Impressive.  

One the things I like about this Merrill Campground is that it has a paved bike trail going several miles in either direction.  


Notice the lack of boats on the lake--no noisy motors or hoards of fishermen. 

After a week here, I left for Redding, CA.  Why?  My satellite was not working, and I was having a lack of TV meltdown.  I had even bought a new receiver, but obviously the situation was more serious.  So, to Redding I went--the only place anywhere in northern California where I found that had the right satellite and mounting plate and were willing to install it before October!

My drive took me close to Lassen Volcanic National Park, and it was expected to be 104 degree in Redding, so I took a side-trip through the park on my way.  This is a high rest area with a viewpoint. Not a big crowd here, to say the least. 

 Amazing view.



Not absolutely sure what mountain this is.

Another area burned last year.  

This part of the fire must have been very hot.

This is part of Lassen National Park.  We are at 5,000 to 6,000' so still some snow on slopes.




Unfortunately, I got to the visitor center just as it was closing.  Maybe next year.  
 






No comments:

Post a Comment