Wednesday, June 19, 2019

6/17 Point Arena & Lighthouse

I have no idea when I will be back here, if ever, so I took this change to check out the Point Arenas Lighthouse. It is about an hour south of Mendcina and two hours north of Bodego Bay. 




Some interesting water tanks held together by iron rings.


This is the lighthouse cat.  She was more interested in sleep than making friends. 

This is a view from the top!  You can see how the point of land juts out into the Paciic Ocean.


Looking back toward the entrance.  Notice how narrow the point is.  They had to move the Cape Hatteras lighthouse in 1999 because of erosion, and it looks like they will have to do the same thing here.  Guide said they predicted abou100 years!  If you don't think it can be done, check out this site:  https://www.nps.gov/caha/learn/historyculture/movingthelighthouse.htm   And the Cape Hatteras lighthouse is 208' tall with 257 steps!   Point Arenas lighthouse is 115' tall and has 145 steps, so it can be moved if someone has the money to do it.  

Looking down or up always makes me dizzy, just I take photos anyway.

Just some pretty wildflowers to end. 


















2 comments:

  1. Good for you making it to the top. I've tried at a couple of lighthouses and always had to turn back which thrilled the people behind me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been up several, including the Cape Hatteras Light (257 steps), but I take it slowly and rest at landings. Of course, that one was five years ago. I don't like it when there is a large crowd behind you pushing you to move faster! Hey, we are retired, so we can take our time.

      Delete