Saturday, March 16, 2019

3/5 Catching Up - Drive from Oregon to California

I am finally back to blogging!  I drove back to California on March 5 and was lucky to hit a relatively dry and not-too-cold time to do it.  There is absolutely no way you can get to California from Central Oregon without going over mountains--on the east are the Sierras and to the are mountains shared with the northern border of California.  There are several passes at least 4,000 feet high, which means if it is raining at lower elevations, it is likely snowing up there.  And I do not want to drive a motorhome over mountains in snow.

I had given myself three days to drive 500 miles, which I would usually do in two days.  Mostly the drive to Grant's Pass, the first three hours is pretty boring.  But it starts to get hilly south of there.  Luckily the pavement was nice and dry.   

There is snow at just slightly higher elevations, however. 


The weather was dry until I got past Emigrant Lake.  Air temperatures were still in 40s, so no danger of ice forming. 


However, as I got higher, the rain turned to very wet snow.  Still none of it was sticking to the pavement, so I drove on.  And more importantly, there were no snow chain requirements.  This is the top of a pass.  You can tell that because there is a brake check area for trucks for the long drive down.  


As I got into California and mostly through their mountains, it became foggy in the higher elevations. 

But back to almost dry pavement!  

Somewhere behind these clouds is the top of Mount Shasta.  

You can see a little bit more of it here. 

FINALLY, sunny skies and relatively warm weather, mostly in the 50s and 60s instead of 30s and 40s!  Yea!  I like this place because of the huge paved sites and also because it is so close to my son's home. 


I have not had much free time with all the grading I have to do for my online class, but I did take time to clean one of my underneath storage bins.  I need to do this every few months so I do not accumulate too much stuff and also so I can find things I need.  This bin has a lot of chemicals and cleaning supplies, along with some tools.  Instead of things just rolling around and spilling, I put things in a couple of plastic bins I had.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment