Sunday, June 24, 2018

6/19-21 Drive Through Nevada and More Trouble

So, here is the rest of my story of troubles.  First, after my first set of repairs I drove fast and made it out of California and into Nevada.  I spent Monday night just east of Reno.  The Sierra Nevada mountains are always beautiful.


 Here comes Reno!

Continued east along I-80 and spent the next night in Elko, NV.  Very little traffic and great weather--not too cold or hot. (The dates on some of my photos are wrong.  Need to fix my camera.)






This is an animal bridge, by the way.  There are more of them popping up all over the country because they encourage animals to cross freeways safely.  They also prevent car/animal collisions. 



I spent Tuesday night in Elko Nevada.  On Wednesday, I headed to Twin Falls, ID and the RV park I had reservations at for two days.  However, in the morning, near Wells, NV, I hit a big chuckhole in the freeway and then felt a lot of vibration.  Vibration can be just the pavement or it can be a warning of another blowout, so I pulled over and looked at my tires and they looked OK, so I drove slowly to the next town, Wells. 

I found a tire shop and asked the technician to please check my tires because I was nervous of another blowout and there was nothing between there and Twin Falls.  Tires were OK, but while he was under there he told me one of my shocks was hanging loose.


I have never had my shocks changed in 116,000 miles and have asked a couple of times that they be checked, but have always gotten a vague "Oh, they're fine" response.  I do know that hitting any kind of bump has been harsh for quite a while.  So, since they promised me they could install four new shocks in two hours, I went for it.  Unfortunately, they had problems getting the old shocks off, and it took five hours.  He did show me the old shocks and there was almost no give at all in them, so they did need to be replaced.

Cost = $600, but they threw in a front steering shock of some sort because it took so long.  This makes a total of $5.600 spent in RV repairs and tires this year!  I will have to put myself on an austerity budget and hope nothing else breaks. 

I made it to my next RV park in Heyburn, ID. just before dark, where I was happy to spend two nights to recover from my long drives and stress of repairs. 

Onward to Yellowstone!!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment