Thursday, March 1, 2018

2/24 McDowell Regional Campground

McDowell is a popular Maricopa County regional park for campers for a lot of reasons.  First, it is north of Fountain Hills, a planned community northeast of Phoenix.  Second, it is in a pretty Sonoran Desert setting, and third, sites are very far apart, at least on the southern loop.  Because I made my reservations a little late, I ended up having to move sites three times in six days.  

It's a pretty drive to the park. I stopped to get groceries and did some laundry, so I was ready to go.


And here it is!  

One of the sites I had was higher than a lot of the others, with an excellent view, so I pulled in frontways.  I carry a 25' 30 amp extension cord, so had no problems plugging in.  I have been using my fresh water tank and my water pump instead of my city water hookup, so this was easy also.  Some campgrounds insist you back in to sites, but this one was fine with my parking this way so I could overlook the long desert vista instead of the camper on the other side of the road. 

Really, though, there was lots of space between sites as you can see from this photo.  That makes it very peaceful and quiet at night. 

In this part of the Southwest, even playgrounds get covers for shade. This one had a snake slide and a couple of rocky climbing structures. 

I rode my bike around and wrote down the numbers of sites I'd like to reserve next time. Took some photos of the distant mountains. 

Some campgrounds have overflow lots for people who arrive without reservations when the campground is full.  I headed down the road to find it. 


It turned out to be a large parking lot near a trailhead with spots marked out on pavement.  You can see a few sites on the right.  The cost is only $20 per night, but there is no electric available. There is a fresh water spigot to fill water tanks and the dump station is available at the campground for use.  Not a bad place, actually, and something I might use if I get stuck without a reservation sometime. 

Wish I knew what that sharp peak is called in the middle of this photo. It looks a little like Picacho Peak, but it is in the wrong direction.  

Been very busy with my online teaching because it is getting close to the end of the semester, but in three weeks, the rush will be over, and a new semester will begin.  That always gives me a little more time for sightseeing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment