Sunday, November 5, 2017

11/2 USS Midway

Sorry, but I am getting really lazy about posting.  One thing is that I have been really busy in San Diego doing some minor maintenance and having lunch with friends.  Being retired, or at least mostly, retired is a lot of work!

On this day, I went into the harbor area to tour the Midway.  It was launched in 1945 and retired in 1992.  I took a lot of photos, so I think I am going to be judicious in which ones I show.  One nice thing about this day was that is was not crowded at all, which meant no lines and no problems seeing all the parts of the ship. 

Not only is the ship itself a museum, but they have a lot of planes on and in the ship as part of the display. 


The big inside hangers where planes were stored is now a museum and, of course, a gift shop.  Can't have a museum without a gift shop.  




One of the advantages of being here off-season was the ability to take a tour of the control island.  No lines at all.

A lot of equipment, but considering it was mostly WWII era stuff, it looks pretty ancient. 






And it still had a real ship's wheel that is not much changed from sailing ships.  Amazing.

The captain had two cabins.  This was the one nearest the controls. 


Nice view of downtown San Diego.


There were very realistic-looking manikins throughout the ship to give it realism.  This guy was supposed to be the chaplain.

The captain's other cabin. 

 A radio room nearby.  Check out the old computer.

Officer's dining room. 


The whole tour took me about 3 hours, but I spent a lot of time sitting on deck and enjoying the San Diego breeze and weather.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to see that. I've been on a battleship (U.S.S. Alabama) but never on an aircraft carrier.

    ReplyDelete