Sunday, September 17, 2017

9/13 Tillicum Campground, Yachats, OR

This campground has two big attractions--you can get a site directly overlooking the ocean and it is cheap for seniors because it is a federal facility.  A couple of negatives are the lack of a dump station and fairly tight roads and campsites because of a narrow road and overhanging branches.  

Some explanations about hookups.  I really prefer an electric hookup because my batteries will not run my TV, AC, or microwave, however, I will occasionally forego electric if the location is superb, like the North Rim of the Grand Canyon where some sites are practically hanging over the rim with fantastic views and the little Kaibab squirrels running around.  Water hookups are nice, but since I can fill my fresh water tank with 60 gallons of water, I can manage very nicely without a water hookup at my site.  Sewer hookups are often not worth the bother since I can easily go 3-4 days without dumping my grey and black tanks.  (One of the big benefits of traveling alone means I don't fill my tanks very fast, even with taking a hot shower each day and doing a few dishes a couple of times a day.)  And, nearly always, dumping my tanks is something I combine with going out and visiting town or exploring.  Usually, dumping means driving a few hundred feet within the campground to a dump station, which is also nearly always easy to use and free to campers. 

I know this is getting boring to most of you, but it is part of my life and how I manage utilities.  Another issue related to this is that I am very close to my maximum weight limit, and when I have two full waste tanks, I am often over that limit, so I like to travel with empty tanks.  Driving to a nearby town and paying $10 to dump in a municipal facility makes me a little nervous, so not having a dump station is a real bother.  

However, life has trade-offs.  Having the beach access literally across the street from my campsite is the trade-off for this campground for not having a free dump station! 

How can you beat this being practically at your doorstep? 

The trees are low and wind-swept, but here is my campsite.  Overhanging branches were only a foot above my rig, so I had someone watch as I backed in.  Did not want to lose satellite dish (round bubble on top) or the AC unit behind it.    

To get to the beach, all I had to do is walk behind the truck camper on the left.  Best part was hearing the surf all day and night, and the wonderful breeze. 

In this campground, the sites with electric are mostly on the left of this road that goes along the beach, and the tent and no-hookup RV sites are on the right in parallel parking sites. 

Many other sites are tucked into the woods, like these. 

I am in site 27, near the middle beach access.  Note the warning at the bottom of this map about there being no showers or dump station.  This is typical of national forest campground.  Actually, it is highly unusual for national forest campground even having electricity, let along water hookups or bibs.


The rest of the photos are just pictures of the beach.  The first two were taken on a very foggy day.  The rest were taken a couple of days later, and with a very unusual sunny, blue sky. 


Note the lack of smoke here!  The white stuff in the distance is fog.

These photos were taken at low tide.  This beach is very flat and the sand is extremely hard.  In fact, in a few places, I could barely see my own footprints. 

I could even walk in these areas that had only a couple of inches of water without sinking in.




You can see the campground in this photo.  There were only a couple of nearby houses, so this felt like a very private beach. 



On Saturday, I head to Nehalem Bay State Park, where I have never been.  I have stayed at a lot of the state and federal parks along the coast, but am always trying to explore new ones. 


No comments:

Post a Comment