Friday, October 23, 2015

10/22 Cahokia Mounds

Cahokia was the largest pre-Columbian city in the New World.  At its prime from 800-1400 AD, its 10,000 to 20,000 people along the Mississippi River built more than 120 mounds.  http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/198

I had been here three years ago, but was too tired then to climb the big mound, so I wanted to come back and see the museum again. 


Liked their patch of prairie, but thought they needed a tiny buffalo to keep it cropped.

This several hundred year old canoe is a new exhibit.  It was found in Arkansas and donated to the museum. 


Lots of axes, knives, hoes, and points.

Excavations of an area west of the big mound show evidence of post holes.  It was thought this was a sort of Stonehenge-type calendar.

The art reminds me of South American cultures such as the Aztecs.

This foot-high thumb was a pipe.  Interesting.


 I took a picture of this guy outside on the sidewalk  He was about 3" long--the biggest grasshopper I have ever seen.

Drove across the street to the mound parking lot.





It's a loooong way up!

And because there are two levels, once you climb that set of stairs, you are presented with an even longer set.

Whew!  Finally made it to the top.


This is a telephoto view of St. Louis in the distance.




And my motorhome in the parking lot.

Onward to my campground, but could not resist taking this photo of the Arch.

And this! I remember someone on St. Francis street owning one of these Metropolitans when I was a teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment