Thursday, June 25, 2015

6/24 Owen Sound & Meaford, Ontario

I'm staying here in Owen Sound for a few days because it is where my great-grandparents met and married, and I wanted to do some additional research on them. So, on this day, I headed out for the local Grey county museum and heritage center.  I was expected the usual small town museum in an older building, but what I found was this huge, modern facility!



There was an animatronics dinosaur exhibit, so of course, there were school groups and a lot of noise.  This guy met you at the door.

Part of the exhibits.


No, my family was not listed here, but it was interesting to read.


I spent a good two hours in the genealogy center, getting help from the staff.  No charge, other than the museum entrance fee and copying. 

Then, I headed east to the small town of Meaford where my paternal great-grandparents were married.  You can see Georgian Bay of Lake Huron in the distance. I am driving downhill here because the road goes over the Niagara Escarpment, which makes the entire Bruce Peninsula.


Pretty harbor area and walk onto the breakwall.



Water is exceptionally clear in this part of Lake Huron.  In a few days, I will be headed to Tobermory, which has glass-bottom boat tours of shipwrecks.

No comments:

Post a Comment