Friday, July 4, 2014

6/27 Pikes Peak Cog Railway

I have driven up to the top of Pikes Peak and taken the cog railway.  While it is fairly expensive, I much prefer the relaxation of the cog railway because you do not have to worry about falling off the edge.  (The road up is mostly dirt and has no guardrails at all!)  In addition, last time I took the cog railway up, I bent over to pick something off a low shelf and really had my vertigo kick in to the point where I would never have been able to drive back down.


 
For some reason, I did not take very many photos going up, but here are a couple.   The ride takes about an hour and 15 minutes. 

Because of the angle, some of the seats are at a funny angle, so you cannot really sit back and relax, but it is still better than driving.


The view from the top is amazing.  You really do feel as if you are at the top of the world.


Some of the words from "America the Beautiful" was inspired while the songwriter, Katherine Lee Bates, was atop Pikes Peak, so this monument was erected to honor the song.

  
Luckily, you only spend about half an hour up here.  At over 14,000 feet, there is not much oxygen and many people get headaches.  Luckily, this time I did not get so dizzy, but I was still glad to get back down. 

My grandson expressed everyone's attitude exactly.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment