Wednesday, March 12, 2014

3/6 Tombstone, AZ

I visited here way back when my kids were young, but I could not remember much about it so wanted to go back.  It was not very far from where I was staying at Kartchner Caverns, so a friend and I decided to meet there.  (She was staying in her motorhome in the area, but not at Kartchner.  She also has a car, so met me there.)  It was a drive through not much of anything, as they say.  No problem, as I have "No where to go, and all day to get there."

This is downtown Tombstone!  The cowboys wandering around give it some character.

 
My RVing friend who also lives in a motorhome. 
 
And, me, outside of the Bird Cage.  This is a very historic bar and "place of ill repute."
 
This is a painting of Fatima, aka. Little Egypt who danced here in the 1800s.  I wonder if she is the one that Lieber and Stoller wrote their song about??  Both Elvis and the Coasters recorded it.  Do you remember:

     "I went and bought myself a ticket and I sat down in the very first row, wo wo
      They pulled the curtain but then when they turned the spotlight way down low, wo wo
      Little Egypt came out a-struttin' wearin' nothin' but a button and a bow, wo wo
      Singing, ying-yang, ying-yang, ying-yang, ying-yang"
 

The next few photos are of the inside of the Bird Cage.  These "box stalls" were where the prostitutes entertained their clients. 


 

And the on-site barber shop.

This is the back room where the poker game is said to go on for nine years.

And the Tombstone hearse.

 
 One of the rooms for the prostitutes.

We had to visit the show about the gunfight at the OK corral.  Actually, I should have taken photos of the most exciting part--watching the cowboys try to catch a crow with a bad wing. They finally cornered and caught him.  Then the show could begin.  Acting was a little rough, but what do you expect in Tombstone?

And the stables out back.

It is nice to have made some friends with women who like to live and travel as I do.  We get together to talk about our travel and to compare rigs and modifications we have made to them.   After Tombstone, we headed to Sierra Vista and had lunch.  I was able to do some shopping and stop at the post office.  Very nice day, overall!

No comments:

Post a Comment