Tuesday, August 28, 2012

8/28 Trying to Live Slow

I spent about 5 hours out and about yesterday, visiting the visitor center, Mather Point, Bright Angel Trail, and the Post Office and Market, all by shuttle.  It was nice not to be in a hurry and to come back to my home when I was tired or bored.  Finished a bit of work, cooked dinner, and tried to view a DVD, and that was about it.

I am really glad I brought a ton of groceries with me--enough for at least 8-10 days.  The market here in the park wanted $7.95 cents for a pint of Haagen Das!  I passed, obviously, but did buy an Grand Canyon t-shirt on sale.  I did see a mother elk and her calf hanging around the entrance of the market area.  The grass has been very lush from the rains, so she is enjoying a meal while her calf rests:

Last night, I looked out my motorhome window and saw an elk munching on the grass just across from me--about 20 feet away.  Got my cell phone and took some video, but had trouble because it was upside down.  (I swear it was rightside up on my camera!! Next time I will use video on my camera instead of cell phone.)  He hung around for over half an hour, not seeming to mind all the photographers, and finally wandered off.  Nice to have wildlife around.

Here are some photos of the Canyon just to prove I am here:
 
 
By the way, one of the fun things about being here in a campground is watching what everyone else is doing.  Quiet during the day, but lots of cooking and things happening in late afternoon.  Very quiet after dark with hardly any sounds or lights as everyone is inside their RVs.  Dinner last night was a small steak with mushrooms, strawberries, and a tomato.  Tonight I may make pasties.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Sounds like you are having a great time and the shuttle service is really nice.

    ReplyDelete